Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reflections #4

Day 05 of lessons

Today was supposedly the submission date for our Portfolio Part 1. However, the deadline is postponed to Monday. I did not complete my work too but I had more than half done already. Ms Faridah went through my work as she did with the others to comment on it and I'm glad that I'm on the right track.

Doing the portfolio made me observe and analyse the differnt search facilities in detail. Before these lectures and typing up the report, I was unaware of these search features available on the net. Doing the report made me see all these and learn how to use them effectively. I feels almost like a whole new world is opened to me.

When using different search facilities, I get varying types of results which I can apply to my research in different ways. A larger range of results appear, and I can carry out my search more efficiently with all the features of the search facilities, be it the "I'm feeling lucky" function from Google or the function of searching across a range of search engines at one go with a meta search engine. The ease of finding more relevant articles is obvious as compared to using just one search facility.

Before the class ended, we were told to add RSS site feeds to our blogs. Initially we thought they were just typical web links, but it turned out that these links, instead of bringing us to another webpage, should bring us to a full text document of the website. We had to edit the html of the layout to get the site feeds up and it took us all awhile to manage to get it correct, but I guess it was all worth it and I felt that this is something new I've learnt today. Site feeds are really convenient and actually quite easy to use, and we are able to read updates without being distracted by the layouts of the webpage. I shall try using this soon for my own personal blog soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home