Monday, January 12, 2009

Reflection #3

Day 03 of lessons

Today's lesson was simpler and more straightforward.

I really felt I learnt something new and more useful today. We had to go through Practical Worksheet 3 in which we had to carry out our own research and compare between 2 search engines, namely Google Search and Google Scholar.

Before I go into the comparisons of the 2 search engines, I'd like to touch on something else that I got to try today and have found useful. I remember in my previous post I said I would try this soon:

Instead of just typing keywords into the search box, we were required to use brackets, asterixs and words like And/Or/N to define our search. My query went like this:

(use* OR application) AND (IT OR informatics OR information technology) AND (design OR innovation* OR art)

So anyway, I tried Google Search first and the results were quite relevant as compared to Google Scholar, because the latter took me some time longer to find a relevant link. Thus I prefer Google Search over the Scholar even though they each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Before this I never knew Google Scholar existed. I find this useful in helping me in my research, whether now or in the future. There is so much more to search engines for me to discover and make use of.

I have also joined a forum that is related to my topic and posted a new thread. However, there is still no replies. I shall also try joining another forum because the one I had joined is quite newly established so there aren't many members yet. I hope there will at least a few replies soon and that they will help me in my research topic. Anyway, I think posting in a forum is also fun as you do not know one another and when you start a new thread, you're just waiting for anyone to reply. There is a kind of exciting antipation while waiting for a reply.

With all the search results, we have to do citation and bibliography to credit our sources. Without citation, the information we use in our reports and works are a kind of plagiarism. Therefore it is very crucial to cite our sources accordingly and rightfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home